Monday, November 25, 2013

Wow...My Fail was Epic this Time!

Okay, just as I envisioned I have really stunk this one up!  I have great intentions and aspirations to succeed at this 30 days of thankfulness, but if I would have thought it through a little better, I would have been more prepared (like writing several before the month of November so I would have a stash when life got busy).  I started out by missing a day when life got busy and it led to the feeling of being overwhelmed for getting too behind, then the plague hit me AKA tonsillitis.   I won't make anymore excuses...I just realized that it wasn't as important as the "now" and I refused to let it take me away from the "good stuff". So now in an effort to redeem myself I'll briefly go through the things I am thankful for in an attempt to catch up on expressing my thankfulness.

Day 16: I am thankful for my home.

I am extremely thankful for the structure of my home that keeps us safe, warm, and gives us a place to be us without restraint.  What I am most thankful for about my home is the life that goes on inside and the memories we have created within these walls.  All of my babies have taken their first steps here. There has been both laughter and many, many tears.  There has been kind words and words that cut deep spoken here.  There's even been eggs thrown at someone in the kitchen (I know, I know...Brent should be ashamed right?!)  Hee. Hee.  Though all the times have not been great or easy, they have made us who we are as a family and allowed us to experience forgiving and forgiveness, successes and failures, simply put...life...all in the privacy and comfort of our own "home". 



Day 17: I am thankful for my job.


I've already touched on this one in a few of my previous days of thankfulness.  I am very thankful for my job as the Ministry Assistant and After school director at Oak Pointe Church.  I am thankful because it affords me the opportunity to do what matters most and allows me to be most efficient in my biggest area of impact, my family.  I have the option to bring the babies to work with me or to take some needed time away and get a sitter.  It gives me an out as a stay-at-home mom so I don't feel the need to "get out" and do things like shop and impulse buy just because I feel like my walls are caving in.  I am thankful that I can honestly say that there hasn't been a day where I dreaded going to work because I felt like I was abandoning my family's needs and putting my job first.  I love my job, and I love that my job directly impacts people in South Greenville and all over the world hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Thank you OPC for choosing me!



Day 18: I am Thankful for my Friends.

I used to think that the only friend I needed was Brent.  While he's my best friend and was my only friend for a long time, it wasn't enough.  I've mentioned that I've failed miserably in the area of being a good friend to others, however, God extended His grace to me and brought some of the sweetest, most thoughtful, self-sacrificing people into my life and showed me that I do, indeed, need friends.



  I'm forever thankful for that lesson.  Now I get to work on my skills of being a good friend to these wonderful people.  I've already mentioned those who are closest to me in previous blogs, but there are a few who have slipped through the cracks or maybe we have drifted apart since I stopped teaching, but I still treasure them and our memories and laughs just as much.  To all my SCE friends, I love and miss you guys and will forever call you friends because so many of you were so good to me and I am thankful for you!  To my Teacher Tot Friends, I miss seeing you each day and I am so thankful for you taking care of Cam and Elli when I had to work...You guys ROCK!  To my Facebook friends, you know the ones who pray for me, express kindness and encouragement, and invest in my life, I'm thankful for you.  "A friend loves at all times!" Proverbs 17:17

Day 19: I am Thankful for Technology


Most of the time you'll hear me complain about how I hate technology, mainly because I'm not good at it, but I have to admit that I secretly have a love for it.  Without technology, I wouldn't be able to do most of what I do.  If it weren't for technology and the people who created it, I wouldn't be able to share this with you today.  Without technology I wouldn't be able to pick up my phone and talk with a friend or family member at any moment or text someone when I don't feel like engaging in a full out conversation.  Without technology, I'd have to co-pilot with a paper map (while I enjoy the challenge, putting the address in the GPS is soooo much easier).  Without technology, I would have to do my bank statement by hand and keep up with all my receipts and write those dreadful checks...YUCK!  Without technology, I wouldn't be able to capture so many precious memories through the lens of a camera, phone, or video camera.  Without technology we would never be able to have a peaceful dinner in a restaurant with all three kids (what did parents do before smart phones?? ha ha).  Technology makes my life a lot easier and more efficient and for that I am thankful...I love ease and sufficiency.

Day 20: I am Thankful for My Uncle David and Aunt Margaret.


Ever since I was little I remember anticipating a visit from Uncle David and Aunt Margaret and they were always filled with fun, adventure, and especially lots of GOOD food!  All those things are great in an of themselves, but the truth love, and kindness they spoke into my life has meant more than all of those combined.  They made special trips to SC just so Uncle David could marry both of my brothers and myself.  Uncle David will never know what his marriage ceremony he prepared for Brent and myself meant to me.  I was so honored and proud of his creation.  I am thankful that they have kept in touch with us and even come to SC twice to stay in our home.  Not many older people would trust a couple with young, loud, attention demanding kids enough to come and stay a few days in their homes, but they did and I am very grateful for the memories created for me and my kids during those visits.  I am especially thankful that they opened up their home to us and my grandma this summer for us to visit Texas.  They even had toys, the living room baby proofed, and family all ready to show us SE Texas.  Thank you for making our first visit to Texas a great one!  Uncle David and Aunt Margaret will forever hold a very special place in my heart.  I love you guys!



Day 21: I am Thankful for our Cars.

We may not have the best, newest or nicest cars, but I sure I am thankful for both of them.  I am thankful that they are paid off and running!  I am thankful that both cars allow for 3 car seats and a comfortable ride for the entire family.  I'm thankful that my car has enough room for the five of us and then some.  I'm thankful that I can have confidence in my car getting us to where we need to go (aund if it doesn't I'm thankful I know just who to call!).  I'm thankful to have a car with heat and AC because I know there are so many who do not have that luxury.  I am thankful that I  have a car to take and pick Cam up from school so she doesn't have to ride the school bus and potentially get exposed to so much that she does not need to know about anytime soon!  A car provides us with a way to get to work, school, the grocery store, the doctor, and to create memories wherever we desire to go.

Day 22: I am thankful for my Childhood.

My brothers often recall our childhood in a negative sense, but I don't remember it that way.  They remember being poor and never getting what they wanted.  I don't remember that.  I remember having fun and playing outside all the time, riding bikes, playing Barbies, being sick for like three Christmases in a row, going to bed hungry because I chose not to eat what was cooked, going to Freedom Weekend Aloft EVERY year, big family Christmases, UGLY Easter dresses, and many, many more things.  I remember there being tears and hard times, but the things that stick out most are just the happy memories.  I was not oblivious to our financial situation, but I don't think it caused me to be unhappy.  I am thankful that I was poor because it has made me appreciate my current financial stability so much more.  I also think it has taught me how to be a good steward of what I do have and has taught me to be a good money manager.  While my  childhood may not have been filled with extravagant gifts and living, it was filled with love and a mom and dad who did the best they could and always sacrificially ensured that we had everything we NEEDED.

Day 23: I am Thankful for Summertime.


Summer is my favorite season because it is when I get to spend the most time with my family. 



School is out and everyone is in vacation mode.  Summertime is just more relaxed and less
stressful...No homework, upcoming tests, early bedtimes, or alarm clocks (on most days).  I also love summer because all the pollen is gone and it's warm. If you know me, I HATE being cold!  Plus the sunshine and warm days make me happy!  It makes me just want to go outside and enjoy God's beautiful creation and get dirty with my kids because dirty kids are happy kids, right?!  I am thankful for summer because of what it means to me, relaxing, family, fun, and friends!



Day 24: I am Thankful for my Sister-in-Laws.



I always wished for a sister when I was growing up to identify with because I was left out in the brotherly bond.  I was upset when Chris got married because I felt like April was taking him away.  What I failed to realize was that God had finally given me what I had been asking for...a sister.  I'm thankful that April took the time to fix my hair and do my make up just like hers.  I'm thankful that she let me look up to her and didn't get annoyed when I tried to dress like her.  I'm thankful that she has never tried to exclude me, instead she encourages Chris to be a good brother.  I am thankful that she trusted me to keep her kids all the time when they were little and stay countless nights in her home through my teen years.  Those nights and practicing loving and taking care of my niece and nephew helped me to become the mom I am today.  April has also been a great aunt to my babies.  She spoils them every time they visit.  Every kids needs an aunt like that!



However, God blessed me with another sister several years later when Chase married Ashley AKA "Ashes".  She has been such a blessing in my life.  She's so easy to talk with and is a great listener.  She's  extended grace and forgiveness to me in several instances where it was not deserved.  She's hot-tempered and sassy, but she has a heart of gold and is always there when I need her. She missed the births of both of the girls, but she made sure she was there with me for my last.  I'm very thankful for her love, support, and conversation through the labor with Crew and I'm thankful that she understood and respected my wish for the delivery to just be Brent and me. 
To both Ashley and April, thank you for being who you are and I am glad that God chose you to be my sisters!  I am grateful for you today!

Day 25: I am Thankful for Hair and Make Up Products.


I know this sounds very superficial, but it's true.  I am so thankful that no one except my family who has to love me with my normal hair and make up free face!!!!  The hair is by far the scariest part!  I am thankful that I can cover up some of my insecurities and imperfections with makeup and enhance my outward beauty to make myself feel more confident.  I am also VERY, VERY thankful for hair products because without them my hair is perfect for the 1980s.  It's HUGE!  I am thankful that with moose and gel I can choose to be lazy and wear my hair in tamed curls. With the help of a blow dryer and most importantly a straightener I can wear my hair straight.   Trust me, without these products, my friends would not be seen in public with me:).  As superficial as it is, I'm not afraid to admit that my confidence may not exist without these products so thank you Bare Minerals and who ever invented the straightener because I am forever in debt to you. 


(Yeah, you're not going to get a before and after here...NOT that brave!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment