Friday, November 1, 2013

I am Thankful for my Husband


I am usually terrible about keeping up with a routine so I apologize in advance if my "scatter-brainedness" overcomes my good intentions yet again.  I love the Thanksgiving season and not just because of the food.  I love traditions, the family gatherings, the crafts, the colors, the beauty of God's great creation, and I love being reminded to have a thankful heart.  However, with the hustle and bustle of the Halloween festivities this week I forgot that today was November 1st, the first day of putting my thankful heart into words.  My goal is to write a post each day of something that I am thankful for.  Last year my husband was terribly offended that I wasn't thankful for him on first few days so just to appease him, I'll express my thankfulness for him first.  Just kidding guys, he did give me a hard time last year, but believe me, I am oh so thankful for him.

Today and everyday, whether he's driving me insane, nitpicking, being a slob, or being the sweetest, most adorable man ever, I am thankful for my soul-mate, partner in crime, my better half, my husband Brent.  Who would have ever thought as many times as he broke my heart in high school that we would be where we are today, happily married with three beautiful children and faithfully living each day with the intention of shining the light of Jesus to all those we encounter?  Do we fail?  Absolutely more than once a day, but we serve a God who is in the business of grace...giving us the forgiveness we do not deserve...FREELY. 

If you've seen Brent, you know he is about as handsome as they come (despite this No Shave November thing he does each year...FYI, he began in October this year. YIKES!).   However his appearance is a lot lower on his list of things I love about him.  First and foremost, I love the man he is in Christ.  I am so very thankful for his commitment to lead our family in such a way that honors God.  He thinks he out kicked his coverage, but ladies, believe me when I say that I am the lucky one!  I feel incredibly blessed that God chose me to be his suitable helper. 


I thankful for the father Brent is to our children.  He loves our girls well, and he has given them such an incredible example of how a man treats his wife.  I pray that when they become interested in boys that they look for someone just like their daddy!  He has and will continue to be an example for Crew.  I'm thankful that Crew will be shown how to be a man of God first and foremost, but also to be a leader and someone who isn't afraid to show emotion and who loves whole-heartedly. 

I am thankful for the husband Brent has become.  We started off rocky expecting marriage to be easy and with me giving and him doing a whole lot of taking.  After years, many arguments later, and us putting Christ at the center of everything, we've found each other once again. Now eight years later, I can honestly say that I love this man more and more with each passing day.  Do I love him the same as the day we married? Nope. Do I still get butterflies? Nope, but what I can say is that I do love him differently, more deeply and my stomach may not flutter with each kiss, but my heart does swell and I'm overcome with the love that's communicated with each one.  I am so thankful for his determination to hang in there when I'm being a brat, stubborn, or giving him the silent treatment. I'm thankful that he has learned me so well and now knows how to diffuse situations and stop conflicts before they begin.  I am thankful for his forgiving spirit that doesn't hold grudges.  I wish I were more like that!  I'm thankful for the simple texts that say, "I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you," or the sweet notes that make me cry every time.  I'm thankful that he notices my effort and thanks me for the little things that often go unnoticed.  I'm thankful for the little gifts that he gives just because.  No, they're not anything big or expensive, but my husband remembering the things I like (Resee Pumpkins, fuzzy socks, pajama pants) and that he knows I won't buy for myself means so much and certainly make me feel treasured.  Who needs diamonds when you have chocolate and peanut butter??? 

I am thankful for his companionship.  Knowing that I have someone to turn to in the good, the bad, and the ugly times is so reassuring.  He know just what to say (most of the time anyways) and gives great advice. I'm thankful that we can have fun together and act like complete idiots, but we can also be serious. I'm thankful that we've created so many firsts together.  We were baptized together and this year we even got our first tattoos.  I'm thankful that he pushes me to be more spontaneous. 

I'm thankful that he still finds me beautiful.  After three kids, your body changes, and while it may not appear much different to people who don't see me everyday, but those changes can make a woman feel vulnerable and insecure.  I'm thankful that I have someone standing behind me in the mirror as I'm pointing out all the imperfections saying, "You're beautiful."  Although he may not think it makes any difference, IT DOES!  I'm thankful that he notices when I fix up nicely and appreciates the extra effort.  Sorry I'm too lazy to do it all the time:)

I could go on and on telling you all that I'm thankful for Brent for, but we would be here forever, and I don't want to let out all my secrets and have you trying to steal my husband;).

 Brent, thank you for all you do for me and our family.  I hope you know how much you are appreciated and loved!  I also hope you cry as you read this!  You're amazing and you bring so much joy and happiness in my life.  Thank you for being exactly who you are. I love you to the moon and back times infinity. Thanks for being my prince charming. MUAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment