Thursday, November 14, 2013

Day 13: I'm Thankful for my Pastor and His Wife

One day behind...I'll take it! 


I've already mentioned being thankful for my church and my grow group, but neither of those would be the same without Mike and DeAnna Morris, my pastor and his wife.  These two individuals have invested so much into my life and the life of my family and for that I am oh so thankful.

Well, if you read about me being thankful for my church you already know that Mike stalked and followed us for a week to get us to come to church (just kidding! I'm thankful for his persistence).  I am thankful that he came to our house and invited us that day and has been an encourager ever since.  Shortly after we began attending OPC Brent and I hit a pretty rough patch in our marriage.  We had been married for 2 years and the "honey moon" was over so to speak.  Real life hit and it hit hard and this time we had a kid we were responsible for.  I honestly thought that our marriage was possibly going to end.  Brent contacted Mike, and he and DeAnna invited us into their home to offer us some help.  Their biblical words and advice saved our marriage. 



Mike has played such a big role into shaping my husband into the man of God he is today.  He has provided such a good example of how to be an authentic man of God.  He hasn't simply done this from the stage on Sunday mornings, but he created a relationship and has taken the time to get to know Brent personally.  That means a whole lot.  It's one thing to touch someone with your words, but it takes it to a whole new level when you touch someone with your words and actions.  I am thankful that Mike has encouraged and held Brent accountable for his actions and relationship with God. 

I am also thankful for Mike essentially giving me the desires of my heart.  Mike provided a way for me to be able to stay at home with my babies, at least most of the time anyways.  Mike knew my heart was at home with my family and he saw how going to teach each day was tough on me.  He offered me a part time job as his assistant where I could bring the kids to work with me (although that's proven to be a lot harder than I thought).  He's given me a job I love, at a place I love, and doing it unto the One I love, Jesus.  On that note, I want to say what an understanding and encouraging boss he has been to me.  He understands that life happens and kids get sick, and apparently spleens are ruptured (BY HIM), but he has never once made me feel guilty or reprimanded me for working from home, the hospital, or simply not working that day.  He has also came in himself to do my job in several cases so that I would not have to worry about work and instead focus on my family.  He also makes a point to show his appreciation for my hard work.   I am so grateful for his selflessness and friendship to me!





Now onto Mrs. DeAnna...This woman holds a very special place in my heart as I am sure she does in the heart of many.  I am so thankful for DeAnna being exactly who she is!  Not only is she super stylish (I seriously think she is the one who created pinterest and at least half of the posts on there), beautiful, and the queen of shoe shopping, but her inner beauty is even better than all of those combined.  I remember the first Bible study I ever attended that she was leading.  Her knowledge and love for God's word intimidated me, yet at the same time made me desire to have that same knowledge and love.  Upon getting to know her better, I realized that she was a real person just like me, and her story encouraged me to be the woman God has called me to be.  She has never once pretended to be someone she is not.  Her transparency and honesty have encouraged me.  I am thankful for DeAnna for leading some awesome women's Bible Study groups and cooking up some fabulous dinners.  I have learned so much from her and her life experiences.  I am grateful to DeAnna for investing in me by sending me encouraging cards, serving my family, leading our grow group, being my friend, loving on my kids, and making time to hang out.  Her friendship is a true blessing from my Heavenly Father.


Mike and DeAnna, you two have played an instrumental role in the woman I am today.  Thank you for being Godly examples for me to look up to.  You have taught me so much about God's word, life, and even about myself.  I am so thankful for all the time your invested in the life our family.  You are two of my earthly treasures and I feel so blessed to call you friends! 

1 comment:

  1. Tonya, I am humbled by your kind and sweet words. What a joy to do life together with you!!

    ReplyDelete