Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 7: I'm Thankful for my Parents

Parents...You can't live with them, but you can't live without them.  As a kid, I never wanted to leave them.  I hated being a way from home.  Then as a teenager I wanted to be everywhere but home. Then, when I went to college, I came home EVERY weekend except one for three years straight, AND my parents often met me in Anderson for dinner once a week.  I love my parents and still don't go a few days without seeing them. 

I am extremely thankful for my parents not only because they gave me life, but because they have done so much for me over the past 29 years.  As a kid they came to pick me up no matter the time even after I swore I would spend the night with someone, but i suddenly got a "stomach ache" (aka homesick).  My mom and dad rarely ever bought anything for themselves and often wore their clothes completely out so that we could have nice clothes.  They sacrificed, fundraised, and borrowed money so that I could cheer and do pageants. They never missed a game, cheer competition, pageant, or performance...EVER! They held me tight, defended me, and gave me a way out when I was bullied in high school.  They gave me a shoulder to cry on and were the object of my frustrations, hurt, and anger through the MANY times Brent broke my heart.  They helped me buy my first car.  When I lost some of my academic scholarship my sophomore year of college, Dad went and took money out of his 401K so that I could continue my education without taking out more student loans, and he even bought me a new computer.  Dad lost his job while I was in college, yet, he still made sure that I was able to have a nice wedding to remember. They cried as they watched me leave my parents a cleave to the man of my dreams.


Things haven't changed much since I've grown and left home.  My parents are still very present and involved in my life, and they still take care of me.  My parents have always been there for me ready to do whatever I need, from helping me set up my first classroom to packing up my last one.  They drove me to the hospital when I was in preterm labor with Camryn. They were my saving grace when I was so sick with Ellisyn and especially Crew.  They were at my house every single morning to get the girls ready for school, make them breakfast, and take them to school. They came and sat with me when I was too weak to get up and scared I would pass out.  They made sure I ate and drank even if I would just vomit shortly after intake.  They keep the babies two times a week so that I can get away and work without distraction.  They are my go to when I have no one else because I know that they'll be there.  They are the most awesome grandparents to my kids that I could ask for.  They invest so much into the life of my children.  Although they don't have much to give, they give what's most important...time and love, and they give it freely and without expectation. My parents not only gave me life, but they have enriched, blessed, and made my life so full of love and joy.  I am so thankful that God chose Rex and Jackie to be my parents!

 Mom, you are such a tremendous blessing in my life.  You have taught me so much,  You have shown me that with hard work and determination you can overcome.  I am so proud of you for not letting your disability stop you from trying and never being ashamed of it. I'm thankful for all the sacrifices you've made and the example you have given me of both a mom and grandma.  I'm thankful that today you are one of my best friends.  Most recently I am so thankful that you had the courage to stand in church and declare that you have put your faith and trust in Christ.  God has answered my prayer yet again! Thank you for being my number one fan and being proud of me.  I am proud to call you Mom!

Dad, thank you for being the first man I loved and showing me how I should be treated.  You love BIG, and I'm thankful for that big love always shown to me.  Thank you for teaching me how to solve problems on my own and never overstepping your boundaries during my growing pains.  Thank you for never putting extra pressure on me academically and always telling me, "It doesn't matter as long as you tried your best."  Thank you for working hard so I could go, do, and experience life.  Thank you for serving our country so that we can have freedom.  Thank you for letting me wrap you around my little finger.  I told Brent he had big shoes to fill with our girls because I wanted them to have a Daddy just as awesome as mine.  I'm very thankful for all the back scratches over the years...I couldn't have reached them without you!  Seriously, Daddy, you inspire me to be better and when I think of you, my heart is overwhelmed with love and sweet memories that I will forever cherish.

Mom and Dad, I love you infinitely, and I will be forever grateful for the blessing you are to me and my family! Today, I declare my thankfulness for Y-O-U!

No comments:

Post a Comment